Wednesday 22 August 2012

guest blogging, and confusing families.

Guess what?  The wonderful busy bee that is Michael Patrick McKinley has asked me to do a guest post for his blog!  No one has ever asked me to guest post, so I am extremely flattered, and excited!  Especially since his blog is so diverse and interesting!
His post's usually make you think about things you would never usually consider, and have a sweet humour to them too :)

Check his blog  'Let's start with a metaphor, shall we?' out: http://killerbeesmakethemostdelicioushoney.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/quote-unquote-14-hungry.html

I'll let you know when my post has been published.  Sadly, I think it will just be a re-post :(
I would love to write something original, but given that my gran is over from Pakistan and we're constantly having people over to see her, or taking her to see people, anything original written right now would be half-arsed, and Michaels blog is too good for that!


Also, I thought I'd explain a bit about Pakistani families in this post briefly.
One of my friends txt me yesterday after reading my last post, and was confused about be referring to my gran as my 'Dadi Ami', so I told her i'd explain it in a post.
In Punjabi/Urdu, each relation has a particular name you refer to them as, not strictly, but just in general, like your dads parents, brothers and sisters have a certain 'title', I suppose you could say, and the same for your mums side. 

So here goes:
Your dads mum and dad= dadi ami and dada abu (literally translates to dad's mum and dad's dad)
Your mums mum and dad= nani ami and nana abu

Your dads big brother= Thai Abu (his wife would be your Thai Ami)
Your dads little brother= Chacha/Chachu (his wife would be your Chachi)
Your dads sister= Phupho (pronounced pup-oh..sort of..) (Her husband would be your phuphra)

Your mums brother, older or younger= Mamoo (his wife would be your mami)
Your mums sister= Khala (her husband would be your Khaloo)

Borthers, sisters and cousins don't have a particular title, but you usually call your big brother, or older guy cousin Bhai or Bhaijan, out of respect, and your older sister or older girl cousin Baji or Appa/Appi out of respect.  

We just call our uncles and aunties...Uncle and Aunty :P We've never really been traditional in that sense.
And I don't actually call my grandparents any of the traditional names above.  I call my mum's parents Barry mamy and Barry daddy (literally Big mum and Big dad :P) and my dads parents Ami gee and Abu gee.

Even if you don't refer to your family using the traditional names, they're still used a lot in conversation when explaining how 'so and so' is related to 'so and so'

Most Southern Asian cultures have traditional names for family members, but they'll vary depending on the language spoken and the country/region/area you're from. 

You can't say I don't educate you readers :P
Even if it is useless information you didn't need to know!

I was in a rush yesterday so forgot to post some eid themed pictures!
My lovely friend Sam (the one who just got married) came over and put mehndi/henna on mumsy, my cousin and I.

She's so talented! She does it all freehand, and does the designs from the top of her head!


Mums black mehndi

xo

15 comments:

  1. Your posts really are super informative. It's always a good thing when you can also learn something while checking up on blogs. I think I would never be able to remember all these terms of endearment though,...I will just call everyone, "hey you!" instead. Unless I was Barry Manilow...then I could remember to call my parents Barry Mamy, and Barry Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the barry manilow comment! I'll sing at my grandparents from now on!

      Delete
  2. You know they have that naming pattern in Sweden too, so it was nothing new to me :) In Sweden the words for your grandparents are father's mother, mother's father etc. The only one I remember is that your father's father, so your granddad on your dad's side, is your Farfar. Which is quite easy to remember really. I'm looking forward to the guest post, and I'd be quite happy to have you on my place too, good quality or bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh are you of Swedish origin?
      I'd love to do something for your wonderful bloggy! Let me know anytime hombre

      Delete
    2. Nah I had a Swedish friend. If I was of Swedish origin I'd probably remember the words better :)

      Delete
  3. very informative blog...mmmm interesting! Also the Henna looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words Ayesha... :)
    The henna looks beautiful, and your wonderful piece is finally up on my blog.
    Now if you'll excuse me, I hear a lake calling my name...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds kind of like Asian families. Where you have a specific name for a specific relative depending on their birth order and their precise relation to you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a mouthful. I just call everyone 'sweetie,' or 'little pie.' Mostly, it's just because I can't remember anyone's name.

    The henna designs would look so beautiful as tattoos. How could someone not want something that gorgeous on their skin forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think If i'd have a tattoo, I would definitely have it of a henna desgin! They;re so beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous designs of hena art!!! How long does hena last on your skin?? I have seen photos where a bride had beautiful hena patterns on her palms.
    Oh, your language is so difficult for me!
    Have a nice week.
    keiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Henna usually starts to wear of after about 2/3 days (the more you wash your hands, the more it comes off!) x

      Delete