Saturday 28 April 2012

I miss reading

I mean I miss reading my fiction books (I'm not the biggest non-fiction fan, apart from autobiographies, I love them).

All I've been reading for the past few months is journals related to my uni work.
They suck.
I don't understand 70% of them.  The 30% that I do understand are still so waffly and complex that it would be blatantly obvious that I was plagiarising if I was to just copy and paste it into my own work.  A little something like this:  

I met Barney, he iz a purple dinosaurs. He haz a green tummy and likes to playz with tha kid-uz. 
After conversing with Barney, a painful truth had become apparent to me.  Barney was dead, dead behind the eyes.  Physically he was alive, yes.  His heart beating, his tiny arms frantically moving rhythmically to his hypnotising melody.  But his eyes....It was in his eyes.....
He. Was. Dead.
And he made me spaghetti with some meat balls that tasted like kitty poop, but I ates it anyway cuz Barney looked depwessed. Then he slit his chubby, purple wrists.

  
My darling dissertation.
I know it seems sad to take a picture of a piece of work, but when you invest so much time and energy into something, it's kinda hard to let it go! 
You go do me proud dissertation! Lets hope whoever's marking it is slightly intoxicated and a very generous marker.

We went to watch The Avengers Assemble the first day it came out, last Thursday.  I knew it would be busy, but I didn't realise how busy!  We had to queue outside the screen, and when we were allowed in every seat was filled, and it was one of the bigger screens!

I love watching movies when there are loads of people.  The atmospheres great, everyone seems excited and happy, but there's always that one person who laughs a little to loud, for a little too long, and claps at times when there's no reason to clap!!  Why must you torment us, oh annoying movie geek!?!

The movie was AMAZING! My fav character by far is Iron Man, and I don't know if it's purely because of Downey Jr, or just cuz Tony Stark is so sarcastically awesome.  I don't think another actor could play Stark as well as Downey Jr does.
All in all, the story was good, the fighting scenes where brilliant and the comedy timing was superb! Hulk is pretty darn adorable in this movie at times.  

I wasn't too impressed with each individual Marvel movie.  I liked Iron Man 1 and 2, Hulk was good, but Thor was booooring and Captain America was a big let down.  Thankfully The Avengers Assemble didn't fail to impress :)  

We got some bad news during the movie though.  My cousin txt me to tell me my Mums uncle passed away that day :( 
He was only 64, but he was very ill for a very long time, so it was kinda expected.  We went to Middlesborough on the Friday for his funeral.  We got to see his body, and he looked very peaceful.  His granddaughter said that he seemed fine, and he was talking normally one minute, and then just went the next.  I supposed it's a good way to go.

Inna Lillahi wa Inna Ilayhi Rajioon
'Verily we belong to God, and to God do we return'

I'm not gunna lie and pretend I was close to him, most of my memories of him are from when he was ill and we never spent much time together.  But he meant a lot of things to a lot of people, so I just pray that he is granted the highest level of Jannah (heaven)-Ameen. 


Back to the book front.
I'm currently in the middle of 1Q84-part 2 by Haruki Murakami.  The book itself is fascinating, and is definitely one of the more original story lines I've read in a book, but I've not had the time to sit down and enjoy it properly since the uni works started to get heavy.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but when I know I have work to do, I feel guilty when it comes to reading books, going to the movies or just generally enjoying myself! Stupid, I know, but I suppose it's kinda motivation to finish my work.  The I can just relax and enjoy the book once and for all! 

I came across this hilarious post about the worst book covers and titles and just had to share some of them!
You can actually buy this books if you click on the above link!  There are loadsss of these weird books, but here's a choice few;

very very creepy on a first glance!! Freud kinda shizzle here

yup yup.  Rihannas S&M was inspired by this

Mister Poops pants suggest he's Scottish, however his hat implies he is French?
What's up with the weird dog/wolf doc?

This one makes me want to cry

I don't understand the significance of Jack and Jill.
Do they represent his testicles?

Heads up

No, we're SUPERHUMAN you douche bag.
Oh wait, the Author's a woman!!? what the?

Come one, come all

Really? WHAT ADVANTAGES!?

LOL! Self explanatory


Double entendra? 
Golly! I just cannot wait till the end of May when my work will be over and I can enjoy all of these wholesome, entertaining books!
*eye roll*

    xo

25 comments:

  1. I am currently in the middle of three non-fiction books! The one I am reading most recently is very interesting because it involves symbolism and a lot of esoteric explanations of cool things.

    Dissertation? That is cool! I'm glad you go to college, because I wasn't even aware of mic's used for recording REMs. I can't wait until we can record dreams!

    I'm sorry to hear of your relative's passing. I'm glad to hear you have respect and are empathetic to those that were close to him.

    Those books sure are funny! I think that was one way to make sure that people picked your book up off the shelf. My fave was the advantages and disadvantages of castration. I could see where there'd be a few advantages. Just a few, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh that book sounds quite interesting, I'm pretty into symbols and all of that stuff.

      I hate to disappoint you but REMs stand for Real Ear Measures! I'm doing audiology so everything is ear related :)
      I don't think i'd want soemone to record my dreams, some things are left untampered with!
      (basically I have messed up dreams!)

      Thanks for the condolences,
      and advantages of castration!?! do tell!

      Delete
    2. As a guy who's had both testicles removed I can't say that there are any advantages to being castrated. Although, I suppose you can't get kicked in the balls if you don't have any.

      Delete
  2. Some of those books actually sound amazing, but the Barney bit was pretty dark. I am sorry for your loss :( I also share your despair at lack of reading. All I read these days is mostly blogs and even though I don't mind it at all, and do like it, I feel that reading all the blogs is stopping me reading awsum fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah fiction is awesome! only 20 days then I can get back to finishing my books whoop whoop!

      Delete
  3. I have made it to page 259 of 925 of the Kindle edition, so I am not sure where that is in the 1Q84.

    Sorry for your personal loss. I had to go fix some shingles on my father's house this week, and I had not been there in awhile. I hope that it seLLs soon. It was the first time I had been there since the new windows had been put in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm 400 and something pages in, it gets better trust me!! How was the Eee ee eee book you were reading on kindle? worth reading?

      Aww hopefully your fathers house sells soon!

      Delete
  4. They say there is a book for everyone, however I don't think I entirely believed "they" until I saw this post... head-scratcher, that's for sure.

    Also, sorry to hear about your mom's uncle, deaths in the family can be so sudden and awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I like to prove all of 'them' wrong ;)
      Thanks for the condolences.

      Delete
  5. Maybe now that I'm done classes I can actually sit back and read a book or two. No more textbooks for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy for you! Only 20 days and I can join you.
      when you say textbooks, this comes to mind: http://thedoghousediaries.com/3560

      Delete
  6. Those book titles are unbelievably hilarious. It reminds me of a segment they might do on David Letterman here in the U.S.A. You need to get your own talk show. That plus more than one poop reference. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I would LOVE my own talk show. I would dedicate a whole segment to fat cats like the one that was in one of your posts. Maybe you could be the DJ/Music man thingy? :O

      Delete
  7. Haha I miss reading too! Never have the time. . . those books are hilrious! Ill have to find the John Steinbeck novels I warped like a week a ago...
    Yes "The Red Pony" rags on bronies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they're crazy aren't they!
      Lol at the red pony, maybe you should write one of these books yourself!?

      Delete
  8. lol..hilarious post my love! and- inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajioon. May his soul rest in peace. To die without having to suffer much is a good way to go i guess. So dont feel too bad buddy =)

    and about the dissertation. oh yay,i feel the same way about my undergrad project and postgrad dissertations. They're my babies after all. considering the hard work, tears and toil i went through regarding them,'course they're my babies! there's no other way around it.

    and the worst books of all? how the hell did any of them even get published?? why cant i get published if those idiots got published? im far far better for sure!
    some of those titles gave me a head-spinny for reals. but the castration book? i think the advantage is when said castrated guy was a rapist or pedophile etc. that works well. but still, weirder books i've not yet met!

    and aysh, i LOVE-LOVE-LOVE books too! almost all sorts at that. fiction, psychology, bits of cool science, politics etc. that's why i'm head-over-heels with my current workplace. [i work in a library if u havent noticed already =) ] i get to read books all the time!

    sorry for the way too long comment. hope you dont mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :)

      Maaaaan we have so much in common :D I LOVE the long comment!! Keep em coming!
      InshAllah you will get published!! What kind of stuff do you write? You should post a sample on your blog!! I'd love to read it.

      OMG i'd LOVE to work in a library! Surrounded by so many books :D

      Delete
  9. I need all of those books. All of them, Especially Scouts in Bondage. For research, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently scouts in bondage comes with a free sex swing and a large list of 'safe words'. Value for money? I think so!

      Delete
  10. Condolences to you & your family for your loss......
    Congratulations on finishing your dissertation, now that is a long piece of work
    haha love all the book titles....happy reading....great Blog as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thank you and thank you :D
      Great comment as usual Flower Power ;)

      Delete
  11. I wish the avengers was out in the states. One more day though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What country do you live in? I always thought the UK was the last places for the good things to come, but apparently not so yayy! It is definitely a must-watch movie

      Delete