Thursday 17 May 2012

Comparison is the thief of joy

Lately I've been feeling really disconnected from the world.

Everyone around me seems to be running ahead, having the time of their life, whilst I feel like I'm stuck in the same position, my feet firmly cemented in the ground, left hoping people will wait for me to finish what I'm doing so I can free my feet and catch up to them!

I hate feeling as if I'm not quite as good/funny/pretty/clever/(fill_in_the_blank) as other people, but I sometimes find myself comparing myself to others, wondering If i'm making the right life choices, why am I not doing the same things? Why don't I look like that, why don't I think like that etc. etc.

Then I saw this wonderful quote and remembered, I'm only human;

Teddy Roosevelt, who knew he was so deep?

 It's normal for us all to have those moments where we wonder why we're not having the same success or lifestyle or whatever as another person.  

But where will comparing yourself to another person get you? Absolutely NOWHERE!

Every individual is exactly that, individual.  No two people on this earth will be exactly  the same.  I mean, even identical twins will have some differences in their likes/dislikes and lifestyles, right!?

Therefore we should stop comparing ourselves to other people, because they are nothing like us, and thats the brilliant thing!

We should just be happy with ourselves, and I truly, wholeheartedly believe that you can not expect another human being to love you, until you learn to love yourself.....
(in a non-egotistical way, mind.  Let's not get all Kanye)

But yeah, give yourselves a biiiiiiigggg huggggggg...
now deep breath.........and release

OH AND GUESS WHAT!?

Remember I told you I had a job interview at Liverpool hospital? Well I didn't get the initial full time Audiology position, but I got a phone call this morning from the lady who interviewed me, and she offered me another position!

She said that I didn't get the full time job purely because I didn't have as much experience as the successful candidate*
but one of the Audiologists will be leaving to have a baby in sept, so I've been offered her maternity cover!

:D

I is happy that I's gots a job! Even if it's temporary, monies is monies, and experience is experience! But it wont start until after I graduate (July).

*I hate when they say you didn't get the job because of lack of experience.  What kind of vicious circle is this!? How can I get experience if you won't give me the chance to earn any!?!



Have any of you guys got any exciting job prospects coming up? pray do tell!

XO


21 comments:

  1. I don't have any exciting job prospects but I'm glad you got yours :) It is true that not getting a job due to experience is just evil. You can't even get experience if you can't get a job. It's why most people are going for internships or voluntary jobs. But you're going to get some experience now :) You shouldn't compare yourself to other people, you and Teddy are right that it's the thief of joy. Just be yourself and be happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm very lucky to have got this job! And yes comparing myself to others will get me absolutely nowhereeee!

      Delete
  2. Teddy Roosevelt is one of my all time heroes. That guy was the bees knees. Often, when I do that "comparing" thing I compare myself to people who have more than me. Many times we don't stop to think that we probably have more than many people. In a way though, I suppose it can be good. Because it makes us strive to improve ourselves. I personally believe that everyone is a genius at something. You just have to find what it is, and nurture it, and develop it. Welp, that's my 2 cents anywho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddys a pretty deep guy! Your two cents are very insightful, I agree with you 110%, everyones got something they excel in :D

      Delete
  3. Strange, I left a message before but looks like it didn't go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, well now it seems to work lol. First off, I just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I REALLY appreciate it!

      And as to this post, congratulations on getting that job - and I hope it leads to something permanent! I actually like temporary jobs/projects because I enjoy change - but something steady is obviously the safer way to go. I don't have anything lined up right now - but I'm eagerly looking forward to having something new to do.

      As for Teddy Roosevelt's quote... I love it and it's so true!

      Delete
    2. You're very welcom! Your blog is a very enjoyable read :D

      Thank you for the congrats :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the job, just getting your foot in the door is the main thing. They might call you first if someone permanently leaves or a new position opens up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really pleased to here about the job I hope it all goes well. It is not uncommon for maternity cover posts to end up full time so keep your fingers crossed it could end up full time yet.....

    I try not to compare myself to others, but we all have doubts about things at times it is part of life.... I have been having many doubts about my own blog and whether all the work writing each day is worth it, but I am stubborn and have given myself the goal of one million words so am sort of trapped. I hate to give up on stuff once I start.

    I had my brain scanned in Liverpool hospital once and they said I was normal.....Damn cheek of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 million words!? You are one very ambitious chap! But it is worth it. Your blogs are one of my fav to visit and your quirky writing always puts a smile on my face!

      Ohhh why did you have a brain scan!? That's pretty cool

      Delete
  6. I've often felt the same way. At least I'm at the point where I can look back at the drudgery and laugh. Congrats on your new job, I bet it'll lead you great places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone feels that way at some point, it's only natural, but it's good you can laugh at it now :D And thank you for the congrats!

      Delete
  7. I know exactly how you feel. Especially since a lot of people (including my girlfriend) just got accepted into med.

    I wish I could get a job offer soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculously competitive at the moment! Hopefully something will come up for you soon!

      Delete
  8. I stopped comparing myself to other people when someone I both envied and admired told me what her life is really like, and it is not pretty. I do, however, of ten compare myself to who I used to be. Sometimes I am proud, other times I miss my innocence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when we compare ourselves to others we often don't think past the good stuff and glamour we want, never consider that they may be going through some tough stuff too! Well I'm sure your past self would be proud of your presents self blogging, you're so frikkin funny!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your new Job...n getting your foot through the door will lead you to further success in the future...well done for being able to get a job in this recession & you've not even graduated yet....give yourself a pat on the back coz you've done fantastically well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I have been extremely lucky thank God :)

      Delete
  10. i love ur post on so many diff levels

    first of all you really brought home the point well that it s totally futile to compare ourselves wid someone else's life or experiences. offlate i have been doing that a lotttt !!! and i guess that has made me miserable wid each passing day. so thanks fr making me realise that many ppl do it and still overcome it.
    secondly the cheerfulness ! wen u could be so happy and cheerful wid a temporary job i shud be manyfold happy fr having a work of my own !!!
    thanks fr cheering me up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should not worry about comparing yourselves to others, I'm sure you're fabulous just as you are!
      And I'm so happy to get any job in this economy! It is so tough :(

      Delete